This month’s newsletter is how to avoid stress during the holiday season. So, if you can look at both of the above pictures of Black Friday and Cousin Eddie from “Christmas Vacation”, and you’re not stressed out about how many presents you have left to buy or you’re not dreading the holidays because you have spend time with your immediate or extended family, then you can stop reading right now.
This is newsletter is for the other 95% of us!
So how can we relax when these situations happen?
If your methods of coping with stress aren’t contributing to your greater emotional and physical health, it’s time to find healthier ones. There are many healthy ways to manage and cope with stress, but they all require change. You can either change the situation or change your reaction. When deciding which option to choose, it’s helpful to think of the Four A’s: avoid, alter, adapt, or accept.
Since everyone has a unique response to stress, there is no “one size fits all” solution to managing it. No single method works for everyone or in every situation, so experiment with different techniques and strategies. Focus on what makes you feel calm and in control.
Stress Management Strategies:
- Avoid Unnecessary Stress – learn how to say “no”, avoid people who stress you out, etc.
- Alter the situation – express your feelings instead of bottling them up, be willing to compromise
- Adapt to the stressor – look at the big picture, focus on the positive
- Accept the things you can’t change – if you can’t avoid family members who stress you out, learn how to think positively and don’t try to control the uncontrollable. Learn to forgive.
- Make time for fun and relaxation – connect with others, do something you enjoy everyday, keep your sense of humor
- Adopt a healthy lifestyle – Regular exercise, sleeping 6-8 hours a night, healthy eating, massage therapy, and chiropractic care have been proven in research studies to reduce stress levels
Remember: things won’t change instantly overnight. Take small, incremental steps every day and before you know it, you will have made a lot of progress!
Happy Holidays from
Monday: 10AM-12PM & 3PM-6PM
Tuesday: 10AM-12PM & 3PM-6PM
Wednesday: 10AM-12PM & 3PM-6PM
Thursday: 9AM-12PM & 3PM-6PM