2. Boost calcium consumption. When most people think bones, they think calcium. This mineral is essential for the development of teeth and bones. (Not to mention it’s a huge helper in proper muscle function, nerve signaling, hormone secretion, and blood pressure.)
3. Don’t forget the vitamin D. Where there’s calcium, there must be Vitamin D: the two work together to help the body absorb bone-boosting calcium.
***4. Make exercise a priority. Seriously. Regular exercise is key to keep a number of health issues at bay, and bone health is no exception. Weight-bearing exercise is best → i.e. our BStrong4Life program is designed specifically for this purpose!
7. Consume less caffeine. Caffeine does have some health benefits, but unfortunately not for our bones. Too much of it can interfere with the body’s ability to absorb calcium.
8. Cool it on the booze. But like caffeine, there’s no need to quit entirely.
9. Quit smoking.
10. Don’t be an astronaut. Because there is no gravity in space, the normal “stress” a human body-frame encounters daily on Earth while walking, etc is taken away in space. With the body not having to support its own weight under load, bone loss (as well as muscle atrophy) happens fairly quickly in space.
– Dr. Leif
PS – If you know of someone who was just recently diagnosed with osteoporosis or osteopenia, have them stop by our office for a free office tour and BStrong4Life demo!